Breaking

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Tuesday 28 March 2017

Traveloghalal | Noble Peace Center, Norway

After spending some time at Akershus Fortress with a beautiful scenery, I walked straight to Radhuset to collect my free Oslo Pass. When I arrived in front of Radhuset, I noticed that they had a small showcase going on that I could actually enter using the Oslo pass. It took about 15 minutes, or so, to walk around Radhuset looking at the spectacular mural paintings. I was checking out the brochures that were given to me, and put some indications on my map of the locations that I should visit first, so I would be able to visit those locations on time, before they are closed. It was Sunday, so most of the attractions in Oslo were closed before 6 pm.

Mural Painting in Radhuset.

The reason why I took quite some time in Radhuset was because I could get free WiFi access inside the building. There were many places for visitors to sit inside and take some time sipping their takeaway coffee, listening to someone lingering their virtuoso fingers on the piano (which was located around the center of the building) while surfing your thoughts on the mural paintings. I can tell this because I went to the exact moment while I was there. After being confident enough with my mapping and timing plans, I went straight to Noble Peace Center which is the closest around me. Noble Peace Center is a place that displays diverse Nobel Peace Prize. The most exciting part of the visit was, as an interior architecture student, I was amazed by the showroom where the history of Alfred Nobel was displayed. Using digital display filled with thousand of fibre-optic lights surrounding it, which I believe the installation was designed by an American designer, David Adjaye.

Alfred Nobel Prize in digital display surrounded by fibre-optic lights.

 

 

One of ‘Targets’ display exhibition.

Other than the display of Alfred Nobel, they also held other exhibitions inside, which change every season. During my visit in April, ‘Targets’ exhibition by photographer named Herlinde Koelbl was held. Taking her 30 years back of cold winter’s day journey to military camp, Herlinde Koelbl has visited military camps in 27 countries, where she photographed the shooting targets that were used by the soldiers. The exhibition showed numerous artistic photographs and comics in canvas about soldiers and victims’ experiences during the war, and how they were brainwashed to be a killer machine. I admit, the exhibition left me with a miserable feeling especially seeing the children and muslim women in hijabs, painted on the board to be used as the target shooting for training purpose. It was something for me to learn, to understand how it is to be in someone else’s shoes, being in the same skin and breathe with the soldiers and victims thought, it was a very heavy sinking feeling but at the same time it made me feel so grateful and fortunate to have such a wonderful life, while others still haven’t got the chance to. You can visit https://www.nobelpeacecenter.org/en/exhibitions/targets/ for more pictures and information about the “Targets” exhibitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Pages